POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : after "After Vermeer"... : after "After Vermeer"... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  after "After Vermeer"...
From: Ive
Date: 10 Sep 2002 13:55:06
Message: <3d7e31fa@news.povray.org>
...or Jean Baudrillard would have said: "simulation of a simulation"

Well, at least a good exercise and a nice way to beat the time at
a rainy day. The original image is the cover art of the old bible for
graphics programmers:

 "Dutch Interior, after Vermeer", 1987
 by J. Wallace, M. Cohan, and D. Greenberg, Cornell University

I guess at this time they used some mainframe for doing the render.
The POV-Version is only lit with radiosity and took about 7h with
a 800MHz Athlon. I think the lighting in this scene looks even more
*real* than the original.
A version with higher error_bound setting was closer to the original
image and took only 1h. Not so bad.

The POV scene was done with a lot of guessing, assuming, trial and
error to recreate the 3d scene from the 2D-image. Far away from
beeing perfect but this was the best I could do without loosing my
patience.

The paintings on the wall are still a problem. I guessed they where
both by Rembrandt but it seems that this is only true for the second
(the bigger one). In the original version this image looks a little size
distorted (like they have used a wrong aspect ratio for the image
map) but I think it is the same painting.
Does anybody recognize the first one?
I have simply used another Rembrandt for the moment.

If finally some of  you would like to copy the original Vermeer painting:
http://www.about-vermeer-art.com/vermeer/vermeer-oil-paintings/paintings/20.
html

questions, comments?
-Ive

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'After Vermeer.jpg' (50 KB) Download 'ComputerGraphics.jpg' (45 KB)

Preview of image 'After Vermeer.jpg'
After Vermeer.jpg

Preview of image 'ComputerGraphics.jpg'
ComputerGraphics.jpg